Skip to main content

Book Review: Norwegian Wood

Title: Norwegian Wood
Year: 1987
Author: Haruki Murakami


This book has been on my reading list for a while and I think it is the time to give it a go.

The novel is a nostalgic story about Toru Watanabe when he was still a college student living in Tokyo. Later, he developed relationships with two contrast women: emotionally troubled Naoko, and the outgoing, lively Midori.

On the first page of the book, the story told about Toru who was just landed in Hamburg, Germany when he hears a nostalgic song, Norwegian Wood by The Beatles which reminds him about his life 18 years ago.

Before entering college life, Toru used to have a best friend named, Kizuki who was dating Naoko. He was only his friend but suddenly he killed himslef, leaving Toru and Naoki in mournful silence. After the death, both of them starts to going out more yet it does not last long. Whille Naoko is away, Toru meets Midori, a charming and energetic girl. He also meets Reiko, Naoko's friend in Ami's. Surprisingly, Toru and Reiko grow an odd relationship at the end of the chapter. I was not believe at this fact at first though many people say there are some hints on the letters that Reiko sent to him.

I once had a girl
Or should I say she once had me
She showed me her room
Isn’t it good Norwegian wood?
She asked me to stay
And she told me to sit anywhere
So I looked around
And I noticed there wasn’t a chair
I sat on a rug biding my time
drinking her wine
We talked until two and then she said
“it’s time for bed”
She told me she worked
in the morning and started to laugh
I told her I didn’t
and crawled off to sleep in the bath
And when I awoke I was alone
This bird had flown
So I lit a fire
Isn’t it good Norwegian wood?

The reason I choose to read this book is because it is so popular. I have found it since everyone recommends this book. Usually, before deciding to read a book, I always read the reviews on goodreads but only the exception for Norwegian Wood, I do not want to know what the others think.

The book has its own unique style. It is very detail and descriptive that it looks too real. Not gonna lie, I found it difficult to read the book at first. Then, as I keep on fighting, I found this book quite interesting. Maybe because I am also on my early twenties so I could relate to the struggle of the main character, Toru. To keep all your problems by yourself.

A little warning that this book write several detail sex scenes so if you are not comfortable with this kind of content you can just skip the part.

Review: 5/5

Comments