Skip to main content

Book Review: Love, Aubrey



Title: Love, Aubrey
Author: Suzanne LaFleur
Year: 2009


"No matter how much we love someone, or think we know them, we can never know what it is like to be inside them."

A brief summary about the book

Love, Aubrey tells story from a perspective of a 11 years old girl. Her dad and her sister, Savannah, died from a car accident leaving only Aubrey and her mom. One day, after the accident, her mom leaves too, somewhere, she does not know and does not want to know. 

"It was fun at first, playing house. Nothing to think about but TV and cheese. A perfect world."

"I could not let anyone know that I was alone. I was staying right here."

But then her grandmother comes and gives her all the love she thought she has lost. Not only that, she also meets new friends who take care of her and love her. Turns out she has not lost anything.

My thought when I read the book

My first impression about this book: amazing. Yes, it is. The fact that I already cried when I only read the first two chapters of this book. The story line is quite simple and easy to understand. However, there are a lot of messages that can be found on the story so it will not bore the reader.

This book is intended for children, but, I think, it is also not bad for the adults to read this kind of story. At the end of each chapter, Aubrey always writes a letter to Jilly the imaginary friend Savannah, Savannah and Dad. The contents of the letter are honest feelings from an 11-year-old girl who misses her family. No wonder I always cry every time I read the letters.

At first I was annoyed at Aubrey's mother who had left Aubrey alone without notice. In my opinion it is a very irresponsible thing as a parent. On the other hand, I need to understand the mental condition of Aubrey's mother who lost her child and husband at the same time. Because, well, if it ever happened to me, I will hit rock bottom.

The main character, Aubrey, has changed a lot because of this accident. At the beginning of the story, she was very disappointed with his mother and felt unwanted. She even hates to think about her mother. She felt the memory of his mother was very sensitive and did not want to be discussed by anyone. Nevertheless, as the story progressed, Aubrey begins to accept the truth and tries to be open to her feelings to Gram and Bridget. 

What I like from the book

Honestly, what I like from this book is that it made me cry a lot. I do not usually read this kind of book so it is been quite a long time since I cried because of reading a book. Other than that, I love how the author represents Aubrey. Simple and lovely. When I read the story, I feel like she shares similar traits with me. And, oh, how I forgot to mention that this book mentions many kind of dish. I wonder how Gram's cook taste like. It must be amazing!

Overall, I like this book but the plot is too fast for me.

Rate: 4/5

Comments